Thursday 25 October 2012

stuffing pie

I love taking basic recipes from Joy of Cooking and using them as a jumping-off point for something new. Last night I thought I'd have a go at a pot pie; the only pies I've ever attempted before are apple and blueberry. 
The butcher had yummy honey garlic sausages on special today, so I had some of those, and all the typical roast chicken veggies on hand. 
The recipe I took from Joy was the drop-biscuits that I used for the crust. It turned out great, if I do say so myself. I asked Ian what he thought and he said (with his mouth full so I'm taking it as a compliment), "It tastes like stuffing." Stuffing pie! 
I do so love that these chilly nights mean I can get back to making comfort food again. 

Here's the recipe- enjoy! 




~ Stuffing Pie ~

filling: 
1 carrot, diced
1 onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1/3 cup peas
2 small potatoes, diced
3 good sausages, diced (remove casing if you want)
chicken stock
italian herbs
salt and pepper
olive oil 

drop-biscuit crust:
(adapted from Joy of Cooking)
1 3/4 cups flour (I used bread flour)
1/3 cup butter, chilled or frozen
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup milk 
1/2 tsp salt
italian herbs 

Saute the veggies (except the peas) and sausages in olive oil. 
Add chicken stock a little at a time, like you would if you were making risotto. Keep adding and reducing, stirring often, until a thick sauce forms. 
Add peas and cook just a minute longer. 
Add herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
Fill a pie plate with the filling (there is no bottom crust)

Combine dry ingredients for crust and grate in the butter with a cheese grater. Work the butter in with  your fingers, then add the milk and stir to form a wet dough. Pull off in little balls and cover the filling to form the drop-biscuit crust. 

Cook in a 450 degree oven until the biscuits are puffed up and golden brown on top, and the filling is bubbling up through the cracks (about 20 minutes). 

Serve hot. Makes one 9" pie. 



No comments:

Post a Comment