Wednesday 20 July 2011

Hiding


I failed last night- Swiss Chalet for dinner. I sat in the drive-thru (the ultimate pendulum swing away from making my family's meals- having them handed to me through the car window in a plastic bag), sucking in the lukewarm air blasting from the vents, keeping one groggy eye on the take out window so I'd see the girl coming- I wasn't opening my window any earlier than I had to.
I shouldn't be down on myself- it's hot and I'm going to give birth soon and I don't want to be near my stove. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse.
Knuckle and I are spending the day on the couch in front of the fan watching the Food Network and Erin Brokovich. It's a gem in my growing little collection of strong-women movies, meant to inspire me to greatness. Today, if I can get inspired enough to make it to the store for toilet paper, I'll consider myself a genuine Martha Jane Cannary Burke



In other news... I bought my first sewing machine! It cost about the same as a good oil change and I'm not expecting to pass it on to my kids some day, but I thought it was high time to re-learn the basic skills of sewing. My mother has always been a goddess with a needle and thread; my sister and I had handmade bathing suits, prom and graduation dresses- she even made her own wedding gown. Now that is self-sufficiency. I'll start with learning to patch the knees in hubby's work pants and we'll see where things go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment